Kathy Trist is Head of Property Litigation. She is based at the Exeter office but travels as and when required to see clients at all of Everys’ West Country offices.
Kathy has dealt with most areas of litigation in her 18 years’ experience. Her particular area of expertise is in Property Disputes, and she is familiar with concerns that face both owners and occupiers of commercial and residential properties. Kathy frequently advises clients where there are challenges regarding boundaries, rights of way, party walls, nuisance, trespass, and misrepresentation claims.
Kathy enjoys dealing with the more complex commercial contractual disputes and advises clients in resolving complex disputes between shareholders and/or directors. Particularly interesting are the cases where serious allegations of company/director misfeasance are involved, and it is imperative that the consequential advice and assistance is swift to protect the company.
Kathy also advises on the meaning and implications of the wording in contracts, title documents, leases, and notices, and, in certain circumstances, the validity of the same.
Kathy is an accredited Civil Mediator and utilises this additional skill set when advising and representing her clients.
Kathy qualified as a Legal Executive in 2001 and then as a solicitor in 2004. She joined Everys in June 2018, having worked locally since qualification. Kathy is a member of the Property Litigators Association, a member of the Civil Mediation Council, and is also Chair of the Devon and Somerset Law Society Panel of Mediators.
Andrew Green leads our Company/Commercial team. Having honed his business law skills over many years in London advising public and private companies, he went on to set up his own legal practice in the country.
Andrew has a wealth of experience advising owner-managed businesses and understands the hurdles – not least from running his own business. He is particularly interested in supporting family businesses to survive, grow and hand on to the next generation.
Andrew is also a member of our Farming and Rural Business team. He has many years’ legal experience advising farmers in buying, selling and leasing land, and diversifying into processing, retail and leisure businesses.
- Acquiring the assets of a specialist engineering company in the Home Counties.
- Selling the shares in an estate and lettings agency company to a FTSE quoted company.
- Advising on and drafting the documentation for a management buy-out in the construction sector.
- Assisting the shareholders in various family run companies plan for succession .
Farming and Rural:
- Advising a client on farming partnership issues, the transfer of the farm and succession planning matters.
- Acting for a farming client in the grant of an option for residential development on part of the farmland.
- Assisting with the financing and development of a country house hotel and dealing with related easement and restrictive covenant issues.
- Acting for a client in a management buyout of a business in the brewing and drinks sector.
Colin Chesterton is a consultant solicitor whose expertise lies in Regulatory Law, Court of Protection and the office of the Public Guardian, and Disability Living Allowance. Colin also provides support regarding Liquor Licensing issues and general civil litigation. Prior to joining Everys in 2003, Colin was a partner with a local firm for over 20 years.
Colin has been a Solicitor Member of the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal for 25 years, and is currently the Chairman of the Colyton Feoffees, which, in 2020, is celebrating 474 years since being granted the Charter by King Henry VIII.