Owing to the continuing volume of high-quality work, we are currently looking for a bright, organised, motivated, and experienced Litigation Paralegal to join our Litigation Department based at our Exeter office. Our Litigation Department deals with a broad range of civil litigation work ranging from contentious probate, personal injury, commercial, and property disputes and currently comprises one partner, one senior associate, and one legal executive supported by a team of three secretaries.
The hours of work will be 9.00 am to 5.30 pm with a one-hour lunch break Monday to Friday inclusive each week. We offer a competitive salary, a generous holiday allowance, and many other attractive benefits.
The successful candidate will be required to provide an important contribution to the work of the Litigation Department supporting the ongoing growth and development of the department’s activities, and contributing to the growth of client work and fee income.
You will need to work effectively with clients and other members of both the litigation department and the Exeter office. You will be expected to deal professionally and efficiently with a wide range of work under supervision whilst complying with procedures and working practices.
The role will include the need for the successful candidate to produce the majority of their own documents and correspondence through the use of our case management system and to undertake their own administrative duties.
- To administer and progress (under lawyer supervision and according to experience) litigation files initially dealing with property disputes, commercial litigation, and employment, but with a view to assisting the team with matters as and when required (and other surrounding activities as appropriate), which may include:
- Attending meetings as required
- Liaising with, instructing, and sitting behind Counsel
- Preparation for mediation, hearings, and trials
- Preparing simple witness statements
- Obtaining, collating, and organising documents
- Undertaking research
- Carrying out investigations
- Time-recording in accordance with the firm’s policy
- Preparation of letters and documents using case management software
- Liaising with clients by telephone and in-person
- File opening, maintenance, and closing
- Ability to undertake own filing and administrative duties
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- At least two years’ experience in a similar role
- Educated to degree level or extensive work-based experience
- Excellent IT skills to include the use of case management software
- A focus on developing and maintaining professional and effective client relationships at all levels, with excellent communication and relationship management skills
- A flexible approach and the capability to work well and flourish within a team environment
- Ability to work effectively with other colleagues internally, both within the wider team and across all practice areas and offices
- Ability to meet financial and non-financial targets together with other broader objectives set for the successful performance of this role
- Demonstrate ability to follow procedures in accordance with professional body requirements – for example, Lexcel compliance, and the firm’s internal procedures together with meeting all compliance and quality targets
- A flexible and enthusiastic approach that demonstrates commercial awareness and business aptitude in making decisions on a day to day basis
- The ability to undertake research, produce required reports and deal with complex documents
- Clear, concise, and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to produce work that is accurate and presented in a well-ordered manner
- Excellent organisational skills
- Forward-thinking with a willingness to embrace changing working practices and pro-actively get involved in the continuous improvement of services, products, and processes
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritise effectively
This is an excellent opportunity to become an integral member of our Litigation Department and to thrive in a professional and friendly environment. If you are looking for a new challenge, please send your CV to email@example.com.