Our Litigation Department deals with a broad range of civil litigation work ranging from commercial and property disputes to contentious probate, and currently comprises one partner, one associate, one legal executive and two paralegals supported by a team of three secretaries.
The Litigation Department is proud of its inclusive team ethos with everyone working together to achieve a high quality service for clients and colleagues.
The hours of work will be 9.00 am to 5.30 pm with a one hour lunch-break Monday to Friday inclusive each week. We offer a competitive salary, a generous holiday allowance and many other attractive benefits.
Owing to the continuing volume of high quality work, we are currently looking for a bright, organised, motivated and experienced Paralegal to join our Litigation Department based in our Exeter office.
The successful candidate will be required to provide an important contribution to the work of the Litigation Department supporting the on-going growth and development of the department’s activities, and contributing to the growth of client work and fee income.
You will need to work effectively with clients, and other members of both the litigation department and the Exeter office. You will be expected to deal professionally and efficiently with a wide range of work under supervision whilst complying with procedures and working practices.
The role will include the need for the successful candidate to produce the majority of your own documents and correspondence through use of our case management system and to undertake your own administrative duties.
To administer and progress (under lawyer supervision and according to experience) litigation files dealing with property disputes, contractual disputes and commercial dispute (and other surrounding activities as appropriate), which may include:
- Attending meetings as required
- Sitting behind Counsel
- Running basic files as directed by your immediate supervisor
- Preparation of letters and documents using case management software
- Liaising with clients by telephone and in person
- File opening, maintenance, and closing
- Ability to undertake own filing and administrative duties
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- At least two years’ experience in a similar role
- Educated to degree level or extensive work based experience
- Excellent IT skills to include the use of case management software
- A focus on developing and maintaining professional and effective client relationships at all levels, with excellent communication and relationship management skills
- A flexible approach, and the capability to work well and flourish within a team environment
- Ability to work effectively with other colleagues internally, both within the wider team and across all practice areas and offices
- Ability to meet financial and non-financial targets together with other broader objectives set for successful performance of this role
- Demonstrate ability to follow procedures in accordance with professional body requirements; for example, Lexcel compliance, and the firm’s internal procedures, together with meeting all compliance and quality targets
- A flexible and enthusiastic approach which demonstrates commercial awareness and business aptitude in making decisions on a day-to-day basis
- The ability to undertake research, produce required reports and deal with complex documents
- Clear, concise and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to produce work which is accurate and presented in a well ordered manner
- Excellent organisational skills
- Forward thinking with a willingness to embrace changing working practices and pro-actively get involved in the continuous improvement of services, products and processes
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritise effectively
This is an excellent opportunity to become an integral member of our Litigation Department and to thrive in a professional and friendly environment. If you are looking for a new challenge please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.