James is a Partner and Head of our Commercial Department, specialising in development and strategic land.
James acts for residential developers and landowners in relation to the purchase and sale of land for residential development. He also advises on the terms of conditional contracts, promotion agreements, option agreements, and overage agreements.
In addition, James is an expert in a range of commercial property transactions including business sales and acquisitions, commercial leases and non-standard residential transactions.
Prior to joining Everys in early 2020, James was a partner at another regional firm and has advised on numerous major projects and PLC housebuilder acquisitions.
- Landowners: acting for a landowner entering into an option agreement with a major housebuilder for around 850 houses.
- PLC housebuilder: serial acquisitions and sales of affordable housing including golden brick and turnkey arrangements.
- Public sector: acquisition of a £12m property for a mixed-use development including sub-sale of residential land to a major PLC housebuilder.
- Housebuilder: critical time-sensitive refinancing of multi-million-pound development sites.
- Landlord and Tenant: development of a short-form industrial unit lease for use across a large portfolio simultaneously harmonising rent reviews and break options across dozens of units.
- International clients: acquisition of land portfolio including mutual option structure utilising multiple dwelling relief in relation to SDLT.