Private Client work is a key area of practice at Everys. The department is the largest in the firm and the team deals with a broad range of work. Our clients include farmers, landowners and High Net Worth (HNW) Individuals, which gives us a client base to rival any firm in the South West. We are proud of our inclusive team ethos with everyone working together to achieve a high-quality service for clients and colleagues.
As a consequence of the continuing volume of high-quality work, an opportunity for an experienced fee earner has arisen in our Private Client Department. The role is likely to suit an experienced lawyer who is looking to take on and process an exciting client portfolio.
The successful candidate will be required to provide an important contribution to the work of the Private Client Department and be used to assisting with private client work at a technical level. They will also be required to support the on-going growth and development of the department’s activities and expected to contribute to the growth of the client work and fee income.
The candidate will need to work effectively with clients, and other members of the Private Client Department. The candidate will be expected to deal professionally and efficiently with a wide range of work whilst complying with procedures and working practices.
The candidate will need to be able to work confidently with minimal supervision and be able to produce documents and correspondence through the use of our case management system. The candidate may also be required to supervise, support and mentor more junior members of the team.
- Advising on and preparing Wills and Codicils
- Preparing and registering Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Assisting on other matters affecting HNW clients, such as trusts, foreign aspects, BPR and APR etc.
- If necessary, liaising with medical capacity experts
- Assisting with Court of Protection applications (Deputyships and others)
- Providing advice on care fees and related elderly client issues
- The administration of estate (both taxable and non-taxable)
- Providing inheritance tax planning and family succession advice
- Mentoring and supporting junior members of the department
Skills/ Knowledge/ Experience
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Experience of successfully working in a Private Client Department undertaking the work above
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritise effectively
- Excellent IT skills including the use of case management software and excel
- Ability to produce work that is accurate and presented in a well-ordered manner
- Excellent organisational skills
- Clear concise and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate the ability to follow procedures in accordance with professional body requirements (for example Lexcel compliance) and firm’s internal procedures, together with meeting all compliance and quality targets
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills with a focus on developing and maintaining professional and effective client relationships at all levels
- A flexible approach and the capability to work well and flourish within a team environment
- Ability to work effectively with other colleagues internally, both within the wider team and across all practice areas and offices
- A flexible and enthusiastic approach, which demonstrates commercial awareness and business aptitude in making decisions on a day-to-day basis
If you would like to apply for this position, please email your CV and covering letter to Mrs Jo Garrod, Head of HR: firstname.lastname@example.org.